There are 26 hours left in our Kickstarter campaign. We are raising funds to produce a collection of woven goods for the home; responsible fibers, thoughtful design, ethical labor. Throws, pillows, table linens all made right here in our Chicago production studio by skilled, experienced weavers. Sounds like something you'd like to support? Click here to be directed to our campaign. Watch the video to see what we are all about, check out the selection of gifts we are offering and donate! Can't donate? Spread the word! The more people who know about our mission to change the world through green textiles, the better! Every dollar big and small counts toward our goal.
Want to support sustainable Textiles but not sure it is a worthy cause?
Consider a few facts:
- Textile waste occupies nearly five percent of all landfill space and one million tons of textiles end up in landfills every year.
- During production, nearly 20% of industrial fresh water pollution comes from textile treatment and dyeing. Today, the global textile industry uses over three trillion gallons of fresh water to produce 60 billion kilograms of fabric. That is a lot of fresh water! It takes about 700 gallons of fresh water to make one single cotton T-shirt.
- About one trillion kilowatt hours are used every year globally to produce textiles, which equates to 10 percent of global carbon impact. We all need to wear clothes, we all need to put sheets and blankets on our beds.
Textiles make up the fabric of our lives--yes pun intended.
Organic fiber production causes less environmental damage than that of conventional cottons, wools and synthetics. statistics show
- Organics over conventional textiles:
- reduce global warming by 46%
- environmental acidification potential 70%
- soil erosion by 26%
- blue water by 91%
- primary energy 62%.
Just choosing to include one organic textile in your life makes a big difference and it supports a small business.
As the great Fashion designer Vivienne Westwood has posited:
“Buy less, choose well, make it last.”
We here at Herron could not agree more.
One donation equals global change one small step at a time. Kickstart organic textiles here.